photo google_zps0e96b4e4.png  photo pinterest_zps2f2273e7.png  photo intagram_zps20fd0da0.png  photo youtube_zps5db430e2.png  photo bloglovin_zps46f29f73.png  photo twitter_zps11cdb30c.png

Thursday 10 September 2009

Adult Acne - How I cope

Hey girls

I have suffered from adult acne since the age of 20. In my teens I had the odd blemish but it could by no means be called acne. Initially I thought I'd had an allergic reaction to something, one moment I had perfect skin, the next I had huge clusters of spots focused around my chin.
The doctor diagnosed acne and put me on a long term course of antibiotics. In total I took antibiotics on and off for 5 years. I have tried all of the cyclines changing from one to another every so often as my body would get used to it. I found antibiotics to be a very effective way of clearing my acne. They took about four weeks to take effect and for me to notice a difference. I didn't suffer any side effects and my skin didn't become dry or flakey.

After 5 year I thought it was about time to come off the antibiotics. I felt I wasn't doing my body any favours by taking them for such a long period of time. As soon as the level of medication had dropped and left my body my acne had returned. I then decided to try and cope with it topically.

I have tried many spot fighting moisturisers, cleansers and toners that claim to clear the skin. I now feel I have found one that actually works!

For the past 3 months I have been using the Clinique 3 step anti blemish system.
The system includes a foam facial cleanser, an exfoliating toner and an oil control moisturiser. I use this morning and night and have seen fantastic results. Before using the system I always had some sort of blemish on my face worsening during the time of the month. Now my skin is clear and smooth. I get the odd spot but nothing compared to what it was like before and usually they appear before my period.

I am thrilled with these products and would recommend anyone with adult acne to give it a try.

I have also changed my makeup routine. Like most girls I wear makeup everyday, I really don't feel like I'm fully dressed without my makeup and would certainly not leave the house without applying it first. Unfortunately makeup can irritate the skin and make acne worse. To try and prevent this I have changed my foundation to an oil free formula and I also use an oil free foundation primer.
Before changing my makeup routine I would get to 10am and have to blot my face to remove excess oil, now my makeup lasts all day long without any touch ups!!

I use the Revlon Colour Stay foundation and Mac's Prep and Prime with SPF 50, I then use Mac's Blot Powder on my t - zone.




So far this routine is working well for me, give it a try, you never know it may work for you too :) Let me know how you get on.
Love Pip xx

2 comments:

  1. I too am recovering from acne (at age 21). It's hard to find makeup products that give good coverage but don't aggravate breakouts. Thanks for posting the products that work for you.:) Is Revlon Colorstay oil-free? I'm intrigued about the MAC primer too since it has high SPF.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Soapaholic - Yes it is oil free, the main reason why I thought I'd give it ago. The coverage is great too and it smells nice xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment xx